Voters of MSAD 46

A citizen voice for reform in Maine School Administrative District #46 (Dexter, Exeter,Garland, and Ripley).
A collaboration of Art Jette, Mel Johnson, and the interested public since 1951.
Our statement of principles: Where We Stand

Friday, June 09, 2006

Coffee Talk: Precious Memory

Come on in. Just taking something out of the oven now. These'll be good with jam and butter!

I remember my mom making these when I was little. Oh to be there in that room again!

Memory's a funny thing, you know. It has such an elusive quicksilver quality to it. In some ways it's a sacred gift, a trust that we should be careful not to abuse. After all, among other things, it's all we really have left of those who have gone before. The dead live still in memory!

This is just one reason it's important to have the habit of using it -- memory --carefully. Loss of the skill of remembering degrades us all.

But there are cases, quite a few, where people bend and twist and abuse the past for some small and mean present purpose. It's ugly, but I guess ultimately it's their loss. For the rest of us, well, I remember that Son House song: "Don't you mind people grinnin' in your face." Words to live by!

I can't think of any good reason why someone could really be opposed to open discussion of important issues. Can you?

In any case, what's the opposite of memory...premonition? 'Cause I've had a premonition about what numbers to play in the Pick-4. Next Tuesday, the action is gonna be on 5, 6, 7, and 19!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help me remember. Was there a public information session about a new school prior to December, 2004? Was there a public discussion of sites before then?

6/12/2006 09:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you help me remember when the first public forum for a new school was held? I pay pretty good attention and I don't remember that there were any public meetings asking for public input before December, 2004.

6/12/2006 12:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home