Voters of MSAD 46

A citizen voice for reform in Maine School Administrative District #46 (Dexter, Exeter,Garland, and Ripley).
A collaboration of Art Jette, Mel Johnson, and the interested public since 1951.
Our statement of principles: Where We Stand

Friday, February 09, 2007

You Win Again?

Those who argue that the Governor's plan (and the six imitative bills before the legislature) takes away local control need to ask what local control exists now. When they face that question squarely, they'll likely admit that "local control" is honored more in its absence than otherwise.

Accepting that local control is a virtue -- and this writer does -- then it is reasonable to ask whether the citizenry is able and willing to take back control, including responsibility for financing local schools.

I think the answer to that question is no.

To administrators and school boards and "professionals": You've been successful. You've discouraged the voters from participating in their schools. They no longer dare to express their views, to stick their neck out.

As a result, nobody will defend you. The voters are secretly rooting for the other guys.

The news is out all over town
That
you've been seen a-runnin' round
I know that I should leave, but then
I just cant go, You win again.

-- "You Win Again", Hank Williams, 1952 (backed with "Settin' the Woods on Fire")
(lyrics, mp3--4.8 MB)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel,
I have no idea if you still work at the library at UMO (heck, I don't even know if you worked there in the first place, could be rumours), but I was wondering, how much of this crap do you write while you are at work? Most of your posts appear to be past 8am in the morning when I would assume a university library is open and you are at work. Maybe you are not working and are just bored at home? Just making sure our hard earned tax money is being spent well.

2/09/2007 06:04:00 PM  
Blogger PP said...

I'd be happy to discuss my schedule, my responsibilities, and my work habits with you. Just give me a call.
Each of us has the ability to post. All posts are reviewed by the other before being posted. The name on a post is that of the originator.
Our readers know that we're very concerned with how tax dollars are spent.

2/10/2007 11:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home